Quantose™ IR is a simple, fasted blood test used to measure your level of insulin sensitivity - your body’s ability to use insulin efficiently to bring glucose into your cells.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that one of every three U.S. adults had prediabetes in 2010. That's 86 million Americans aged 20 years or older. The vast majority of people living with prediabetes do not know they have it. A person with prediabetes has a blood sugar level higher than normal, but not high enough for a diagnosis of diabetes.
If left untreated, you are at higher risk of progressing to type 2 diabetes. Therefore, you and your doctor may decide to manage your prediabetes.
Prediabetes is not a harmless condition. Research has shown that some of the complications seen in diabetes are already developing in prediabetes. Diabetes is a leading cause of heart disease, stroke, kidney disease, blindness and amputations.
What is Insulin Resistance?
- Occurs when the body produces insulin, but does not use it effectively
- One of the earliest signs of prediabetes, type 2 diabetes, and/or cardiovascular disease and a potential predictor of disease progression
Who is at risk for Insulin Resistance?
Individuals who are at risk for Insulin Resistance are:
- Overweight or obese
- Have risk factors for type 2 diabetes
- Have cardiovascular disease such as hypertension
- Have a family history of insulin resistance
- Certain ethnicities – African American, Latino, Native Americans, Asian Americans, Pacific Islanders
- Aging increases risk of insulin resistance
How does the Quantose IR test help my physician?
- Helps your physician make decisions regarding intervention options to help delay or prevent development of type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease
- May help your physician assess your response to lifestyle and/or therapeutic interventions
How can I get a Quantose IR test?
If your healthcare provider does not already order the test, ask them to phone Metabolon at 1.844.IR.FIRST (1-844-473-4778) or email us at QuantoseIR@metabolon.com.